Free Loft Insulation & Cavity Wall Insulation Grants in Scotland
Free loft insulation & cavity wall insulation grants are still available in Scotland – Updated April 2017.
The Affordable Warmth energy improvement scheme has been replaced by a new scheme called Help To Heat. The new grant scheme provides free insulation grants for people on benefits in Scotland.
Who qualifies for a free insulation in Scotland?
Under the new insulation grant scheme the eligibility criteria is as follows.
Free loft or wall insulation can be installed if one of the occupants of the property claims any of the following benefits –
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income Support
There are now no supplementary requirements for any of the above
Tax Credits and Universal Credits
If you don’t get any of the above but you receive Tax Credits or Universal Credits you may still qualify for an insulation grant. The table below outlines the benefit and income threshold for each.
The benefits of insulating your home
Insulating your loft and wall cavities is one of the most effective ways of stopping heat escaping from your home and cutting the cost of domestic energy bills.
To apply for a free insulation grant in Scotland fill in the form below and one of our energy assessors will be in touch.
Free insulation grants in Scotland became available from April 1st 2014 via the Government-backed Energy Companies Obligation(ECO), a new home energy-efficiency improvement grant scheme. ECO free insulation grants are aimed at reducing Carbon emissions and helping homeowners & private tenants cope with rising prices of gas & electric bills.
Installing loft insulation & wall insulation are still the most effective ways of preventing heat loss (and therefore saving money by slashing your heating bills.)
If you do not have adequate loft insulation around 25% of heat generated by your heating escapes through your loft and roof.
Cavity Wall Insulation
Cavity wall insulation helps prevent the heat generated in your home from escaping through your property’s exterior walls. It is estimated that around 35% of heat escapes through the outer walls of your home. If your walls do not have adequate insulation this can mean you are paying more than you need to to keep your rooms at a comfortable temperature.
Who qualifies for free insulation?
At the moment there are no benefit qualification restrictions for loft and cavity wall grants in Scotland. This means that providing your property meets the criteria you will qualify for a free cavity wall insulation grant. For free loft insulation you must have less than 50mm (2 inches) of insulation in your loft.
Why are Wall & Loft Insulation Free in Scotland?
Fuel Poverty In Scotland
Figures show that in 2012 there were 647,000 (27.1%) households in fuel poverty, which is is an improvement on the 2o11 level of 721,000 (30.5%) households in 2011.
This demonstrates that the programs of assistance provided by the Scottish Government and the energy companies are having some impact in reducing bills and making homes more energy-efficient.
However these latest figures also show that 27.1% of homes in Scotland are still currently living in fuel poverty.
This is set against a background of continued social programmes funded by the public purse and rising fuel bills. With the target date set at 2016 for the eradication of fuel poverty, there is still much work to be done.
- Area Based Scheme – This is delivered by local authorities and prioritises fuel poor areas. Through this scheme, the whole of Scotland should be covered in around 10 years. Scottish Government funding of £55 million has been allocated specifically for this scheme in 2013-14
- Affordable Warmth Scheme – This is delivered nationally and is targeted at private tenure households who are vulnerable to fuel poverty, as defined by the UK Government’s affordable warmth group. Eligibility for this scheme is based on the ECO Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation and offers measures including free loft insulation and cavity wall insulation.
- Energy Assistance Scheme – This is an extension of stage 4 of the previous Energy Assistance Package. It focuses assistance on the most vulnerable and poor households which were previously eligible for heating and insulation measures but who would otherwise miss out under the Affordable Warmth Scheme. Scottish Government funding of £16 million was allocated for this scheme in 2013-14.
- Home Energy Scotland – This provides free and impartial advice, accessible to all householders in Scotland, and ensures they can be referred through the most appropriate scheme (loft insulation, wall insulation & boiler replacement) specific to their personal circumstances.
“In an uninsulated home a quarter of your heat is lost through the roof. Insulating your loft or attic is a simple and effective way to save that waste and reduce your heating bills – you can even do it yourself. ” Energy Savings Trust Scotland
Applying for free loft & wall insulation grants in Scotland
Applying for a free Government loft insulation or cavity wall insulation grant in Scotland is a relatively straightforward process. Begin the grant enquiry process by entering a few details relating to you and your property. and you will be contacted by a home insulation surveyor.
For more information regarding free home insulation grants in Scotland you can also call the free phone number below.
Call 0800 002 9528 Now.
Free Insulation Enquiry Form – Scotland